Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Big "O"

Don't even go there that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking Organic.

My sister-in-law and her family were in town this past weekend and she was telling me how they have moved to an organic diet, as much as they possibly can. She reassured me that they are not sticklers when it come to organic only all the rest of the world be damned, but she did say the majority of the time they try to eat there food as close as possible to it's natural state meaning raw milk, hormone and antibiotic free meat, as well as pesticide free vegetables.
I have to admit I am pretty ignorant to the organic movement. I have heard of the Dirty Dozen. I do buy milk not treated with growth hormone and steroids. Occasionally I buy organic fruits and veggies when they are on sale. Jon and I have discussed purchasing a butchered cow and pig from a local farmer, but mostly to defer costs. I have also looked into gardening co-ops truth be told we just don't eat many of the vegetables that would be offered. A girl can only make so much zucchini bread in a summer. Then there is the whole other matter of over processed white flour, sugar, quick easy meals that add very little nutritional value.

Organic is not something I'm for or against it's just something I don't know enough about. Can pesticides be washed off of vegetables and fruit with soap and water? How do you find articles that aren't spun to one side or the other?

Finally the whole argument begs the question for me is the farming industry using the same pesticides and technology that was around when I grew up? Have things changed? Is the food industry really worse or is my generation looking for a solution to a problem that never really existed?

I do not begrudge my sister-in-law's beliefs she feels better, she is eating healthier, her kids eat veggies (salad even). I want to do what's best for my family and my budget. I want to be educated.

So I'm asking for your thoughts, are you all "O" or a combo or neither?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you here. We're kind of a combo in our house. Honestly, I'd like to move to almost completely (if not 100%) natural and organic stuff. 'Cept for the milk. I like my milk the way it is. As long as it's steroid hormone free, I'm good. But the whole raw milk thing kinda skeeves me out. To each his own, but I can't do it.

Other than that, I'm game. It's just hard around here. Not a lot of organic offered for us. But we do try to keep products with food dyes & high fructose corn syrup out of the house. And I'd really like to start making my own jellies - the final nail to get rid of all the food that has preservatives. A big reason we did it tho was Hayden. All these changes have had a tremendous effect on his behavior & cognitive development.

But that's just us ;)

Linds said...

We get our beef from a local farmer, but it's mostly to defer cost, although I do like the added benefit of knowing where it came from. I don't buy organic produce. Mainly because it's so dang expensive and we honestly just don't have the money. You have to remember that pesticides and herbacides can be systemic, so while they may be washed off, could still be in the body of the fruit/veggie. We grow our own garden in the summer, but still have to supplement. I try to just have us eat as healthy as possible, but don't sweat the small stuff. That being said I know that i am switching to natural sandwich meat, due to the nitrates, am TRYING to cut out high fructose corn syrup, and try to only stock 100% whole wheat bread and tortillas.

Also, you have to be careful at what is labeled "organic." I have a friend who said USDA organic is just a label (she's SUPER conscious of natural and organic stuff) and doesn't mean very much, so I guess you also have to look at who is saying it's organic.

Linds said...

PS-- I just saw Dondi's comment about jellies. Polanders makes a jelly that only has fruit and fruit juice. No HFCS, and I am pretty sure no preservatives. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it to me especially with a little one who LOVES PBJ sandwiches :)

Jen said...

I cannot do raw milk! It's crazy, grew up on a dairy farm and that's all we drank, but now...no way. I love my skim milk! We get our meat from a local source and it's great meat, and organic, I like it because it has better flavor! I don't buy organic veggies and fruits, as they are very expensive. I do wash my fruits/veggies really good and buy as much as I can from the local farmer's market in the summer. I like to get bulk tomatoes and peaches from some local markets for canning. Could never eat all raw foods like some do. :)

Jen said...

I cannot do raw milk! It's crazy, grew up on a dairy farm and that's all we drank, but now...no way. I love my skim milk! We get our meat from a local source and it's great meat, and organic, I like it because it has better flavor! I don't buy organic veggies and fruits, as they are very expensive. I do wash my fruits/veggies really good and buy as much as I can from the local farmer's market in the summer. I like to get bulk tomatoes and peaches from some local markets for canning. Could never eat all raw foods like some do. :)

Courtney said...

After watching Food Inc. I've moved to more organic than not and been very careful about the kind of meat I buy. Truth be told, I have a hard time stomaching meat after seeing that documentary. It's an eye opener.