Monday, February 13, 2012

I poked a cake and I liked it..

Thank you Katy Perry for my post title.

It all started with my go-to white cake recipe-

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening (You only need to wig out if you eat the whole cake)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsps of baking powder
2 pinches of salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsps of vanilla

Cream the shortening and sugar, add the eggs, then alternate the dry and milk. Finally gently mix in the vanilla. I use my Kitchen Aid to assist me. He is white and his name is Sam.

****WARNING---THIS CAKE IS DENSE*****

You can make 2- 8 or 9 inch rounds or 1- 9x13. Bake at 350 until a toothpick comes out clean. Sorry I don't have an exact time. It depends on the weather and the temperment of my oven.

Next comes the pokin' part. Have you ever heard of Jell-O. I hate Jell-O, except when it's poured into a cake. You heard me right, into a cake.

Now poke some holes in your cake with a fork or a toothpick. It feels good doesn't it. Don't worry it's our little secret. Take your favorite flavor of Jell-O. I chose black cherry because after all this is a Valentine's cake. Disolve the Jell-O in one cup of boiling water and pour it over your cooled cake. Then stick your cake in the fridge or freezer. That Jell-O needs to set.

Oh my YUM...

Since the cake wasn't already sweet enough I topped it with whipped white chocolate ganache.

MMMMM HHHMMMMM.

Enjoy.

Much Love,

-H

1 comment:

Linds said...

this sounds kind of like "better than sex" cake. You poke holes in it. Put sweetened condensed milk, and caramel topping all in it. Then top it with whipped cream and heath bar pieces. It's HEAVENLY (and highly fattening).