Tuesday, January 26, 2010

She Asks, I Answer

Elizabeth at Confessions From a Working Mom has posed another question that begs me to tell the truth.



Confessions from a Working Mom



What's the best excuse you've ever used to get out of an obligation, like work, school, or chores?
(And did you get away with it?)


My excuse wasn't made up, but I did get out of work for two weeks. It was December 2003, I woke up like I did every other morning (duh!), but I was having terrible back pain. I thought nothing of it and pressed on because it was Jon's birthday and a bunch of us were headed out to P.F. Changs to celebrate. I got to work and as the day wore on the pain got worse and worse, but I sucked it up and made it to P.F. Changs. When I got home I could barely walk, but thought a night of solid sleep would fix all my ailments. Well, I could not have been more wrong. When I woke up I couldn't move, like literally COULD NOT MOVE… I was in soo much pain I cried. I called into work, having no idea what was wrong with me or what type of doctor to see, our HR director (a friend at the time) told me to go see her neurologist. Jon headed over from work to drive me. I didn't shower and couldn't put my own shoes on. We headed to the appointment after many needles in the back it was determined that I had a slipped disc between L4 and L5. After Several cortisone shots, a prescription for muscles relaxants, anti-inflammatory meds and analgesic patches for my back I headed home for 1 & ½ weeks of bed rest and then it was Christmas. It was a great excuse, with great meds and a doctors note, but it was awful to not be doing anything. After 3 days I had to, for my own sanity, log into work for a couple of hours, but that was about all I could handle sitting up. It was not pretty and I never ever EVER wish to have that happen again. Even now the slightest twinge of back pain causes me to slow down and take it a little easier.

So do you have a great excuse? What was it? Was it real or made up? Did you get caught? Tell me about it and don't forget to head over to Elizabeth's. She had a smashingly fantastic made up excuse and then in a cruel twist of fate it all changed.

1 comment:

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

I love how you "teased" my answer on my blog-- you could have a future in news-writing, girl!

I spent a lot of time in the chiropractor's office this summer for a bad back... but I didn't have anything serious like a slipped disc. I can't even IMAGINE how painful that must have been.

Thanks for playing along!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom