Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Have you ever...

read a book to your child while you  were going to the bathroom?

Yes, No, Maybe so…

I am participating in Elizabeth's Truthful Tuesday question which is:



Confessions from a Working Mom




How has motherhood taught you to let go?

As always Elizabeth's question is chocked full of potential answers for me. I have given up taught skin, more frequent trips to the salon for pampering treatments, new clothes, a promotion, and the list could go on and on.

Most importantly motherhood has taught me to give up my perfect  expectations. When I was a know-it-all single girl I recall many a conversation where I used the statements, "My child will never…" or "I will never…."

"My child will never be disrespectful."
"My child will never be disobedient."
"My child will never wear stained clothes."
"My child will never wear clothes that are too small because he/she likes them."
"My child will never wake up in the middle of the night after 6 months of age."

"I will never let my child cry themselves to sleep"
"I will never wish for a break from my child/children."
"I will never let my child sleep in my bed or bedroom."
"I will never let my child be babysat by the TV."
"I will never read a book to my child while I am going to the bathroom."

Don't get me wrong I still have hopes, dreams and expectations for my kids. I want nothing more to see them grow and thrive, to enjoy life with me along side them to encourage, lift them up and bring correction when needed, but it doesn't have to be done perfectly.  And sometimes it might mean reading a book while I sit on the potty:o)


MckLinky Blog Hop

2 comments:

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

LOL, I've definitely said a few of those "I will never..." comments to myself... and then turned around and done exactly what I pledged not to do!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Laura said...

It's amazing how much we know BEFORE we have kids, isn't it! :)