Sunday, December 6, 2009

But it smells fishy..

I love cooked fish, but admit that I haven't been that successful at cooking anything but fish sticks (that I don't eat) at home. That is until I found this recipe. Tilapia is a realtively inexpensive fish that is hearty and less "fishy" than most fish. I purchase my tilapia in fresh frozen pacakages during my normal grocery run. This week for example it is on sale for $3.99 a pound this week at my local Harris Teeter usually $7.99. The hubs also loves this recipe because "it's fish that doesn't taste like fish"

Chili Lime Fish Fry

Ingredients:

4 tilapia fillets
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-pupose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 TBSP chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 TBSP fresh chopped thyme or 2 tsp dries
¼ cup vegetable, canola or safflower oil

Directions:

Arrange 3 dishes for dredging. In the first dish the flour. Second dish eggs. Third dish bread crumbs, 1 TBSP of zest, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme.
Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium to medium-high heat.
Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Coat in flour, eggs and bread crumbs. fry the fish until deeply golden and crispy. Top with a little extra salt, top with LOTS of lime juice and the remaining zest.
We usually eat the fish with salad. It is light and delicious. Enjoy!!

No comments: